Sunday, June 10, 2012

Common Core Writing

The Common Core puts a particular emphasis on students writing with evidence from the text they are reading when writing about reading. Students can signal that they are doing this by using evidence based terms. They can also create a smooth and fluid piece of writing by using transitional phrases. I have created anchor charts in the classroom for using these words and students have really improved and focused their writing by using these charts.



 Many students latched on to one or two phrases that they tend to like using but as they become more confident in their writing they are encouraged to expand their language use.




I am excited to use these charts and words from the very START of the school year next year! 

*Wow, I am so flattered by the response I have gotten to these posters on Pinterest! I think this post is pretty directly responsible for the followers I am gathering - and I am so thankful for all 50 of you :) Head over to my 50 follower giveaway ending on Friday! 

15 comments:

  1. I love your anchor charts! I also teach 4th grade and I'm always trying to get my kiddos to provide "evidence" in their reading responses. Would you mind if I made a printable based on the evidence-based terms to share on my blog and for my students to use in their reading response notebooks? I'd love to credit your creative thinking!!

    ♥Rebecca
    Create●Teach●Share

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am flattered that you want to create a printable based on my chart. Go for it! I was really thrilled with how these anchor charts helped my students to show more organization and how it prompted them to show write with evidence. I would love if you would post a link back here when you are done :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much! I shared your anchor chart in my post. Check it out at my blog!!


      ♥Rebecca
      Create●Teach●Share

      Delete
  2. I too teach 4th grade, and have naturally spent the past few weeks off of school reading "school" books and combing pinterest & blogs! I found your blog from Rebecca's link!! Love your anchor charts! I am looking forward to going through your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the anchor charts. I know that they will be of great use in my 4th grade class this year. I think our class motto was, "Prove it!" and "Justify!". Crazy, isn't it?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am also a 4th grade teacher and I just found your blog from Rebecca's post!! I love your anchor charts and just pinned them for next year!!

    Molly
    Lessons with Laughter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you like them! I have you on my "daily check-in" list so I am very flattered that you came by!

      Delete
  5. excellent-Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE your evidence-based anchor chart! I can't wait to model it with my 5th graders this year!

    Alisa

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your anchor charts! I will also model these writing tools for my 5th graders this year! Another blogger suggested hot gluing clothespins to the wall to make changes easier. Thanks for sharing your great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are great- will be using this idea with my fifth graders this year. Thanks!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really love your charts! I also teach fourth. Anchor charts do get their attention. Nice ideas on evidence.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I looped from 3rd to 4th grade with my students this year, and I love your charts! I will implement them this year!!! Thanks a bunch.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm another grateful teacher who will be using your ideas!

    Yesterday, one of my students shared a tip with the class. His previous teacher told students to use the word "because" in their writing. I immediately thought to myself that it was time to find your Evidence Chart on Pinterest and replicate (okay, copy) it for my students.

    It is on my to-do list this weekend. I hope you don't mind!!

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I made your evidence based terms chart and used it today ( We teach the same stories!) and it was so helpful. Thanks~

    ReplyDelete